Sunday, November 4, 2012

Cushion Cover

I've been working on so many new projects and totally slacking on the blog-factor - Sew... here goes some catching up! (Whoo bad jokes!)
First up - a really fast - and fairly half-assed - cushion cover:

It's a bad color, it's covered in stains, it's really gross! But I love this chair - it spins!
So first we have to check out how this thing was put together - then make a plan to re-do it.

You can see here we've got two sets of ties to hold it to the frame. We also have 6 buttons that go through the foam of the cushion to the other side - these are tied to another button on the reverse side with thick upholstery thread. You can also (kindof) see from here that the cushions are zipped into the case.
The zipper is pretty pointless though since you can't remove the cushions without ripping the buttons out anyway. Hence the stains remaining in situ.

The next step was doing just that - removing the foam cushions. I'm re-using those suckers. Again this was a fast and fairly half-assed approach.

So now we have the empty case - all I have to do is trace the outline onto new fabric.
The top piece is one full outline.
The back is 2 pieces with openings to fit the cushions into.

You can see below there are two open zippers between the back panels. Screw those zippers - they are totally unnecessary. All you really need in place of this is some extra fabric that lays over the opening, hiding the cushion and holding it in place. Think pillow shams.

 So here you see the new cover, sewn together and stuffed - The lines you see are from the back of the chair - Like I was saying before, I'm a slacker and I finished this a while ago so it's been in use!

You can see from the second picture that I also ditched the button fasteners. Besides being unnecessary, those things create unsanitary conditions - I want to be able to wash this thing and also have the option of replacing the old foam eventually, because let's face it, it's totally disgusting. I live with a 5 year-old, people. That boy shows couches no mercy.

Here's a close-up of the sham-flap thing I substituted for the zippers. So much easier! Really I was just looking for functional here so it didn't need to be beautiful.

I pinned the whole thing together inside-out and sewed all around the cover. Then I flipped it right side out and sewed a line straight down the middle of the flap. By doing this it separated the two sections - You can see how the flap overlaps the two back pieces.

I sewed the side ties into the outside seam as well - I reinforced those seams well.

Yay! It's done! Sooo much better!

Next project coming soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment